Lawyers have little or no access to the process of law making in the legislative branch. This course will provide the groundwork for that knowledge.
Understand the legislative process, learn how to draft legislation, how to manage the process and consider the ethics.
This course will cover:
- Defining the client’s interests
- Creating options for legislative solutions
- The initial drafting
- Obtaining sponsorship
- Role of the Legislative Reference Bureau
- Judicial intervention
- Committee and floor action
- Role of leaders, sponsors and informal leaders
- External forces
Recorded during a live webcast in June 2018.