The Employment Law Institute West is the premier employment law event in Western Pennsylvania.
The Institute brings together hundreds of employment lawyers, human resource professionals and judges, as well as agency representatives, for a robust educational experience. You'll be updated on the important new cases and developments of the year. And, just as crucially, you'll pick up practice pointers to fine-tune your advocacy skills and strategy.
Learn from the judges who decide your cases in Western Pennsylvania
Once again this year, judges from the Western District will share their experiences in employment litigation. With all of the new appointments, we are privileged to have so many new judges joining us at the Institute this year. Join us for a moderated discussion with the new judges in the Western District followed by a reception. Hear from the judges as they describe their transition to the bench and their experiences thus far. Learn what you need to know as you practice before the new judges.
New this year! Mingle and Meet the new judges in the Western District
You are invited to a relaxing and enjoyable reception immediately following the sessions on the first day of the Institute. You will hear a panel of the new federal judges confirmed in the Western District featured in a session at the end of the first day. Then, you will have the chance to walk around and talk to the judges in a comfortable environment.
Topics included in this year's Employment Law Institute West:
- What’s New in Employment Law? A Tour of the Year’s Highlights
- FLSA Collective Actions
- Discovery and Discovery Disputes: Lessons from the Magistrate Judges
- Non-Compete Agreements and Theft of Trade Secrets
- Developments in LGBT Employment Rights
- Cybersecurity of Employee Personally-Identifying Information
- When You Need to Break Up With Your Client – Handling the Tough Issues Ethically
- FLSA Update
- Medical Marijuana, CBD, Hemp & Other Substances in the Workplace – Best Practices Discussion
- Evaluating, Settling and Trying Sex Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Cases Post #MeToo
- EEOC Update 2019-20
- Employment Practices Liability Insurance – Key Terms to Negotiate to Maximize Coverage
- A Call for Action – Impairment in the Legal Professional and What YOU Can Do About It
- Negotiating Separation Agreements: Views from Both Sides of the Table
- The New Judges in the Western District Speak
- Morning with the Judges
- New Paid Leave Ordinances in the City of Pittsburgh and Other State and Local Laws
- In-House Counsel Speak: The Shifting Employment Law Landscape Under the Trump Administration
- How to Win an Arbitration Case
- Procedural Steps for Determination of Disability and Reasonable Accommodation Under the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Ripped from the Headlines: Lawyers Behaving Badly
- Biometrics and Privacy Issues in the Workplace
- Equal Pay Act
- Immigration Law for Employment Lawyers
- Ten Questions to Review with HR Professionals or In-House Counsel Before Making an Adverse Employment Decision
- Representing Your Client at an Unemployment Compensation Referee Hearing
- Inclusiveness and Diversity in the Workplace
- Working Remotely: The Legal Challenges Employers Face from the Growing Popularity of Telecommuting Arrangements
6 reasons you'll want to be at the Institute
1. Catch up on the year's most significant case law, legislation trends and strategies
2. Revitalize your practice with new approaches to handling the tough issues in employment law
3. Hear from an outstanding faculty including national leaders in employment law
4. Get the impressive Institute materials that you'll refer to time and time again - now by electronic download
5. Network, renew old friendships, meet new colleagues and have a great time
6. Engage in two remarkable days of learning
Each day of this institute has been approved by the Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Board for 6 hours of CLE credit. Workshop choices will determine whether credits are in substantive law, practice and procedure or ethics, professionalism or substance abuse.
All attendees will receive the course materials as a digital book. A printed copy of the course book is available, at a discount to attendees, for $80. Additional copies are available at full price. If you wish to purchase the printed version of the course book, please call PBI Customer Service at 800-932-4637. Printed versions of the course book will not be distributed at the course; please allow up to two weeks after the program for the printed versions of the course book to be shipped.