Post Conviction Relief Act cases can be daunting for those who do not routinely handle them. This manual will prove to be an invaluable practical guide. Learn where to get the answers to questions and get helpful tips for presenting your case. This comprehensive publication provides a solid, working foundation in key areas of post conviction relief.
Seasoned practitioners or those new to the law will find it a valuable and useful law resource manual in their library. The author is a highly talented, respected and dedicated lawyer.
What's New in the 12th Edition:
- Ineffectiveness and defendant’s admission of adequate representation
- Intellectual disability and waiver of an Atkins hearing
- Evidentiary hearing before determining whether counsel lacked a reasonable basis for act or omission
- Prejudice and failure to object to inaccurate jury instruction
- PCRA and Alleyne v. United States
- Withdrawing as appellate counsel and defendant’s right to notice
- Hearsay and the newly discovered fact exception to the timeliness requirement
- Status of new claims in an amended petition following remand
- Waiver colloquy and withdrawal claims
Summary of Contents
- Grounds for Seeking Post Conviction Relief
- Previously Litigated Claims and Waiver
- Successive Petitions for Post Conviction Relief
- Time for Filing Petition, Jurisdiction, and Procedure
- Standard of Review on Appeal
- Appendix A: Pennsylvania Post Conviction Relief Act
- Appendix B: Pennsylvania Rules of Criminal Procedure Governing Petitions for Post Conviction Relief
- Appendix C: Summary of Statute, Rules, and Case Law Governing Capital and Non-Capital PCRA Cases
- Appendix D: Forms
- Appendix E: Table of Cases
- Appendix F: Index
Automatic Update Service
This book is included in PBI’s automatic update service.
PBI will publish supplements or new editions as appropriate to keep the book up to date.
We will send you a notice when a new edition is available.
You will then have the option to purchase the supplement or new edition at a discounted rate or decline the offer, with no further obligation.
If you would like to opt out of the automatic update service, log in to your PBI account, click on Your Account and select Account Home.
Then, click on Automatic Update Products. If you do not wish to receive automatic updates for any product, uncheck the box next to that product.
If you would like to opt in to the automatic update service for any product, check the box next to that product.