Create a connection with your jury
The revised instructions make it easier for judges and counsel to present their instructions in a concise, logical format and communicate with a new generation of jurors wired into a fast-paced world. For example, Rules Governing Juror Conduct During Trial (1.180) assists with advising jurors about the use of the Internet and social media throughout the trial.
Start your trial strategy
For every case, begin your research by reviewing both the substantive instructions to confirm the elements you must prove and the Subcommittee Notes to benefit from reliable expert analysis of the law.
2018 Revisions include:
Agency Chapter—completely revised using terms jurors will understand
Revised instruction—Informed Consent—Nondisclosure (14.90)
Revised Subcommittee Notes:
- Punitive Damages Against a Principal (8.10)
- Factual Cause (13.20)
- Negligent Entrustment of Motor Vehicle (13.71)
- Respondeat Superior—Physicians (14.60)
- Hospital Liability for Independent Contractor (14.80)
Here’s what the drafters are saying about this unmatched reference:
- Assures the law is correct, the language is clear, and there is substantial uniformity whether the case is tried in Franklin, Tioga, or Westmoreland County
- Introduces updates to the instructions and notes reflecting changes or expansions of legal principles
- Incorporates plain English to make the law more understandable to citizen jurors
Summary of Contents
- Preliminary Instructions
- General Instructions During Trial
- Believability of Witnesses
- Burden of Proof and Presumption
- Agency—Tortious Conduct
- Punitive Damages
- Miscellaneous Instructions
- Concluding Instructions
- Negligence Actions
- Medical Professional Negligence
- Non-medical Professional Negligence
- Products Liability
- Intentional Torts
- Owner/Occupier of Land
- Eminent Domain
- Prescription Drugs and Medical Devices
- Subject Index
- Deleted Instructions Chart
- Appellate Cases Citing SSCJI
Automatic Update Service
This book is included in PBI’s automatic update service.
PBI will publish supplements or new editions as appropriate to keep the book up to date.
We will send you a notice when a new edition is available.
You will then have the option to purchase the supplement or new edition at a discounted rate or decline the offer, with no further obligation.
If you would like to opt out of the automatic update service, log in to your PBI account, click on Your Account and select Account Home.
Then, click on Automatic Update Products. If you do not wish to receive automatic updates for any product, uncheck the box next to that product.
If you would like to opt in to the automatic update service for any product, check the box next to that product.