New Clean Slate legislation has recently been signed into law in Pennsylvania that allows for individuals to petition the courts to have their criminal records sealed if the person has been free from conviction for 10 years for an offense that resulted in a year or more in prison and has paid all court-ordered financial debts. Additionally, the new law allows automatic sealing of records for second or third-degree misdemeanor offenses that included a less than two-year prison sentence if a person has been free from convictions for 10 years, as well as sealing of criminal history records related to charges that resulted in nonconvictions. This manual will go over the ins and outs of this new law and provide examples of how it can affect your clients.
Summary of Contents
- Clean Slate: Expanded & Automated Record Sealing Comes to PA (Slides)
- Clean Slate Screening Project
- Expungement and Sealing of Records
- Pennsylvania Criminal Record Assistance Resource Guide
- Practice Record Examples and Answers