The unique nature of title insurance makes claims handling and litigating challenging, but it also allows one to be creative in solving title problems. Join a panel of experienced attorneys who investigate and litigate these claims, as they walk you through the basic steps of filing and defending a claim.
A “nuts and bolts” look at—
- The title insurance policy itself—what it is, who it benefits, coverage exceptions and limitations
- The “top ten” title insurance claims from a lender’s policy perspective—including unrecorded mortgages, mortgages with missing or insufficient legal descriptions, mortgages and other liens from prior owners remaining of record
- Initiating a claim—how and when to initiate a claim, what support to include with the claim, the “etiquette” for contacting the title insurer
- The response of the title insurer to a claim—options, what the claimant can expect to hear.
- Resolving the claim—typical tactics, communication with assigned counsel