Web-based defamation is an increasingly common allegation for clients and their lawyers to face. Learn how this classic cause of action manifests online. Take away practical tips on how to best protect your client's reputation. Learn non-litigation and litigation strategies when dealing with an anonymous Internet defamer.
Basic Elements of Libel
- Elements of a claim
- Common issues in non-Internet cases
What's Different Online?
- Very high-altitude look at CDA 230
- Very high-altitude discussion of anonymity
- Single publication rule issues
Contractual Issues: What Deal Lawyers Need to Know
Evaluating a Claim from the Plaintiff's Perspective
Section 230 Complications and Limitations
- Intellectual property
- Combined print and online publication
- "Bad" publishers
- E-commerce implications
Cutting Edge Issues in Online Defamation
- Elon Musk Tweet Defamation Trial
- #MeToo Issues
- Streaming Services
- Traditional film/TV media facing challenges
- Audience Q&A
Recorded in August 2020.