Don't miss this opportunity to join our panel of experts and learn the nuances about Pennsylvania's Right-to-Know Law! As part of this course, you will receive a downloadable edition of the comprehensive, new release from PBI Press, The Right-to-Know Law: A Practice Guide.
Down the Rabbit Hole: Exploring What Is a Record and How to Access Records Under the RTKL
- What is and what is not a record – what you can (and cannot) get & from whom
- Specificity Issues - tips for writing a successful request
- Responding to a Request
- What is an agency
- Agency fees
- Government contractors—how to obtain records from 3rd party contractors
- Word searches in requests
- Records of judicial agencies
- Social media
- What does it mean to be closed and open – include COVID disaster language
- Methods of getting records outside of RTK law
Off with Her Head! Raising and Defending against Reasons for Denying Access to Records
- Review of the most common grounds for denying access to records
- Recent case law update
- Right to Privacy Issues
- Attorney Client Privilege
- Common Statutory Exemptions
Through the Looking Glass: Appeals and Post-Appeal Issues before the OOR and Courts
- Filing the appeal - Tips for success
- Third party participation /intervention – due process issues
- Crafting a winning Affidavit of Support
- In-camera review
- Bad Faith and Attorney’s Fees
- Post appeal issues – You won the appeal, so now what?
Tuition includes a copy of PBI Press book #11017 The Right to Know Law: A Practice Guide. Attendees will receive a hard copy of the PBI Press book at the course and a digital copy via download. The PBI Press book is available for separate purchase on PBI’s website or by calling PBI’s Customer Service at 800-932-4637.
Recorded in August 2020.