This program is designed to address what happens when there is suspected abuse of a power of attorney for an elderly client and what to do about it from various perspectives. The program will look at issues impacting capacity, identifying factors of abuse, procedures to follow when abuse has been committed, comity issues, practical considerations and modern technology.
This program will discuss:
- What powers do POAs have in PA when the individual is elderly but not incapacitated ---and what controls and/or procedures should be in place if there is suspected abuse?
- What types of abuses have been identified, and how can clients be counseled so that such abuses can be avoided in the future?
- What happens when the principal moves out of state?
- Springing POAs versus durable POAs: the Pros and Cons of each
- POAs in the modern age: What happens with digital assets?
- Does PA recognize POAs from other states and/or countries?
- Bank preferences: Why does my bank not recognize a perfectly legal POA?
- The nuts and bolts of the PA POA statute.
Recorded in July 2021.