Special education law professionals from around the state gather in-person and virtually to learn about today’s most relevant issues—join them!
Attend the premier education event for child attorneys, school district attorneys, hearing officers and advocates - this year offered both in-person in our Mechanicsburg center or via webcast so that you may stream the program from a location convenient to you. Choose the best option for your schedule and connect, learn, exchange, and share the passion with other special education professionals and create exceptional education opportunities for exceptional children!
A selection of targeted workshops, exposure to leading counsel, and phenomenal networking!
Today’s most critical issues are explored by attorneys and professionals who practice in this area every day. Ask questions, challenge concepts, and add your perspective—there is no better way to connect with others who practice in this area!
Gain a balanced perspective on all issues
Most of the sessions are team-taught by a balanced panel of school district and parent/child attorneys. Gain the competitive advantage by hearing how a case is handled from both sides of the “v”!
Are you a parent of a child with exceptionalities?
The ECC offers you first rate instruction for advocating for your child, contact with some of the state’s most experienced legal practitioners, and exceptional opportunities to meet and compare notes with other parents.
Gathering ground for:
- Hearing officers
- Advocates representing children, families, and school districts
- School administrators and teachers
- Anyone who wants to learn more about educational rights for children
Two attendance options this year!
Attend in-person or via webcast (webcast sessions denoted with "Remote-Live Webcast" on agenda below.)
9:00 AM – 9:15 AM
Welcome & Introduction (Remote - Live Webcast)
9:15 AM – 9:45 AM
Opening Plenary Session (Remote - Live Webcast)
9:55 AM – 10:55 AM (workshops, choose one)
- Introduction to Special Education Law (Remote – Live Webcast)
- Compensatory ed for students for lack of parental involvement in meetings, IEP meetings
- Approaches and Resources for Understanding Autism
- Residential Placements
11:05 AM – 12:05 PM (workshops, choose one)
- You’re on Mute: Ensuring FAPE and Meaningful Participation in an Increasingly Virtual World (Remote – Live Webcast)
- ADR Strategy and Practical Pointers, including the ability of Parents to have an attorney present at mediation
- Supreme Court recent decision, remedies under 504 of ADA
- Transition, school avoidance, phobia
12:05 PM – 12:35 PM
12:35 PM – 2:05 PM
Year in Review (Remote – Live Webcast)
2:10 PM – 3:10 PM (workshops, choose one)
- Tracking Child Find, Evaluation, and Reevaluation Compliance Post-COVID School Closures (Remote – Live Webcast)
- Safety in Schools/Bullying
- Title IX
- How to Present a Tuition Reimbursement Case
3:20 PM – 4:20 PM
Ethics (Remote – Live Webcast)
Planned and Developed by the PA Bar Association Legal Services for Exceptional Children Committee. Who better to hone in on the most important and emerging issues affecting today’s special education law practitioner? Join the Committee members at their 2022 conference, designed to highlight the most relevant legislation, regulations, and programs affecting exceptional children and their families. If you’re not a member, join on-site!
All attendees will receive the course book as a digital download. A printed copy of the course book is available, at a discount to attendees, for $40. Additional copies are available at full price. If you wish to purchase the printed version of the course book, please call PBI Customer Service at 800-932-4637. Printed versions of the course book will not be distributed at the course; please allow up to two weeks after the program for the printed versions of the course book to be shipped.