This one‐hour ethics presentation will address how the rules of professional conduct and national and state advisory opinions address national trends to modernize the practice of law. Topics to be discussed include non‐lawyer ownership in law firms and other alternative business structures, unauthorized practice of law by licensed out‐of‐state lawyers, attorney advertising rules and misconduct in the practice of law.
- Investment Structures for Lawyers and Non‐Lawyers
- Formal Opinion 499 (Passive Investment in Alternative Business Structures)
- Attorneys investing in non‐lawyer businesses
- Non‐lawyers owning law firms
- ABS generally, including developments and approaches in the Western Conference.
- Unauthorized Practice of Law by Licensed Out‐of‐State Lawyers
- ABA Formal Opinion 495
- PBA and Philadelphia Bar Ass’n Joint Formal Opinion 2021‐100 (Ethical Considerations
for Lawyers Practicing Law from Physical Locations Where They are Not Licensed)
- Delaware State Bar Association 2021‐1
- New Jersey Joint Opinion on Remote Work 10‐6‐21
- Is there still a need for Rule 5.5 in light of modern practice?
- Attorney Advertising
- Modernization of Model Rules in 2018
- National impact
- Proposed amendments in PA
- Sanctions proceedings in post‐election cases; controversial political representations and
the potential client and internal repercussions of inadequate client vetting
- Developments relating to Rule 8.4(g) in light of national conversation about harassment
Recorded on Day One of the Business Law Institute in November 2021.