DO YOU DREAM OF A BETTER LIFE?
The high workloads, stress, and competition that a lawyer experiences on a daily basis can cause a loss of connection with feelings, personal morals, values, and sense of self.
Take your own practice: while you are filing court documents, meeting with clients, and dictating notes, are you truly connected to the present moment? Or are you on automatic pilot?
Mindfulness practices increase the capacity to be present and high-functioning in even the most unpredictable or distressing situations. Clients benefit from their lawyer’s greater sense of compassion and ability to communicate in ways that maintain a sense of concern and respect.
MINDFULNESS TECHNIQUES HEAL THE BRAIN FROM TRAUMA AND STRESS
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) exercises have been shown to heal the brain and nervous system from trauma, stress, and pain. Dr. Milspaw shares easy ways to fit MBSR and NLP exercises into your busy schedule to help you become more effective, efficient and successful in your work, personal life, and physical wellbeing.
GOOGLE, GENERAL MILLS & TARGET DO IT; YOU SHOULD, TOO!
- React more calmly to stress
- Deprogram multitasking tendencies
- Achieve higher quality interactions
- Make more-informed decisions
- Improve both talking and listening skills
- Cultivate empathy and compassion
- Boost creative thinking—new ideas, insights and mental clarity
- Improve physical and mental health—stronger immune system, lower blood pressure, increased sense of well-being
Now it’s your turn.
6 MINDFULNESS EXERCISES WE WILL EXPLORE IN CLASS
- Mindful Breathing – Breathe in. Breathe out. Letting go of your thoughts instantly decreases blood pressure and heart rate.
- Mindful Eating – Eating when you’re hungry; learning to enjoy the taste of the foods you eat; choosing healthy has a profound impact on your mood and energy level.
- Progressive muscle relaxation – Take your body from tense to relaxed to calm.
- Visualization – Go to your happy place and change how your brain responds to stress.
- Body posturing that will have an effect in as little as 2-minutes – Not only does how you feel affect your body posture, but changing your body posture can affect how you are feeling.
- Ways to incorporate mindfulness into everyday life – Engage with the here and now and approach your life with greater clarity and peace of mind.
Welcome & Introduction
How Stress and Trauma Effect the Brain and Nervous System
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Exercises
- Healing effects
- Reversing the negative effects of stress on the body
- Demonstrations and practice
- Integrating MBSR exercises into daily life
- Mindful Lawyering: Achieving a healthy balance at a fundamental level
All attendees will receive the course book as a digital download. A printed copy of the course book is available, at a discount to attendees, for $20. If you wish to purchase the printed version of the course book, please call PBI Customer Service at 800-932-4637.
Recorded in December 2022.