In the wake of sustained government interest in corporate fraud and regulatory violations, expanding theories of corporate and individual liability, and the demands of auditors, internal investigations have become increasingly common.
Join this panel as they provide answers to these questions:
- Investigation Introduction – What is an investigation?
- Who conducts the investigation and who hires the outside investigator, if used?
- Does attorney/client privilege or work product privilege attach to the investigation?
- How do you structure an investigation? Who is interviewed? When? How long does one take? How do you conduct yourself?
- To be virtual or not?
- How do you determine credibility? Weigh the evidence?
- What is the legal standard?
- How are investigation results reported back to the client? Oral or written report or both? What do reports look like?
- What is the typical outcome of an investigation? Do you always find for the organization?
Recorded at the Business Law Institute in November 2022.