Introduction to Serving on a Nonprofit Board
Many attorneys have the opportunity to join a nonprofit board throughout their careers. For anyone, this can be a very rewarding experience, bring opportunities to improve one’s skills, make valuable connections, and help a cause that is personally meaningful.
This CLE will explore the role of a Board of Directors and the laws governing nonprofits. The program will provide training on the basics of nonprofit board service, including charitable issues raised under state and federal laws for current board members.
Some topics covered will include:
- Proper due diligence: what questions to ask and documents to request before joining
- Understanding your role as a board member
- Board member fiduciary duties
- Board member limited liability, D&O insurance, and indemnification
Basic Nonprofit Financial Information
- Key elements to understanding nonprofit financial statements
- Enterprise risk management at the Board of Directors level
- Form 990 items to know how your nonprofit answered
Ethics of Serving on a Nonprofit Board
Be sure to check out our other upcoming course - What's New - and Not to be Missed - in Nonprofit Law (March 1, 2023) to get the latest legislative updates and to learn about international charities and the considerations that arise when fundraising and operating outside of the United States.
- Serving as legal counsel and a director
- Duties and limitations in the role of the attorney on a nonprofit board according to rules of professional conduct
- Conflicts of interest
- Other ethical issues that may arise in the course of Board service
All attendees will receive the course book as a digital download. A printed copy of the course book is available, at a discount to attendees, for $40. If you wish to purchase the printed version of the course book, please call PBI Customer Service at 800-932-4637.
Recorded in March 2023.