Every appeal benefits from skilled brief writing and argument.
Join a panel of appellate judges and experienced appellate lawyers as they walk you through the process of appealing a case to a higher court. They’ll also identify potential minefields that you may encounter and provide guidance for side-stepping an explosion.
The View from the Well of the Court — Experienced Litigators and Corporate Counsel Help You Get Started:
- Differing perspectives: trial lawyer vs. appellate lawyer
- Preservation of issues, early involvement of appellate viewpoint
- Preparing the record
- Briefing a commercial case on appeal
Special Feature: Judges from Pennsylvania’s Appellate Courts Share Their Preferences, Procedures, Pet Peeves
Best practices tips for appealing to one of the higher courts:
- Commonwealth Court
- Superior Court
- Supreme Court
The View from the Pa Appellate Courts
- Workload of the Court & how this impacts complex commercial cases
- The time between acceptance and final decision
- Commercial vs. criminal vs. personal injury vs. domestic vs. estates and other cases
- How to most effectively present a commercial appeal
- Specialization among jurists – criminal/ personal injury/domestic/ estates/ commercial
- Pennsylvania’s place in business law—the Bench’s versus practitioners’ perspectives
Two convenient attendance options
- In-person in Mechanicsburg for in-person time with the judges and attorneys on the panel.
- Virtually via webcast for ease of attending anywhere.
All attendees will receive the course book as a digital download.
Recorded in June 2023.