A valued template for drafting jury instructions, the Pennsylvania Suggested Standard Criminal Jury Instructions includes more than 500 instructions keyed to the Crimes Code. Professor Steven L. Chanenson, chair for the Pennsylvania Supreme Court’s Suggested Standard Criminal Jury Instructions Subcommittee, calls the criminal jury instructions “a classic area of law that is in constant evolution.” Chanenson and his committee of experts, including trial court judges, prosecutors, and defense counsel, maintain this reliable model for both bench and bar, incorporating an accurate reflection of statutory and case law.
Some highlights in the 2019 supplement include:
- The Preliminary and Orientation Instructions and Cautionary Instructions During Trial chapter and the Evidence chapter have been completely reviewed and reorganized for greater clarity and ease of use.
- A new Strangulation instruction has been added.
- Plus, the following instructions have been revised:
- Identification Testimony
- Robbery—Felony of the First Degree
- Robbery—Felony of the Third Degree
- Use of Force by Person with Special Responsibility for Others/Teacher of Minor
- Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or a Controlled Substance—Controlled Substances—Incapable of Safe Driving
- Arguments of Counsel
- Expert Testimony—Basic Instruction
- Criminal Use of a Communication Facility
- Terroristic Threats
- An updated electronic download of the text of the book in PDF format, along with the instructions in RTF word-processing format
Summary of Contents
- Preliminary and Orientation Instructions and Cautionary Instructions During Trial
- Witnesses and Testimony
- Insanity and Related Matters
- Concluding and Post-trial Instructions
- Inchoate Crimes
- Apprendi and Alleyne
- Specific Offenses under the Crimes Code
- Selected Offenses under the Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act
- Selected Offenses under the Vehicle Code
- Selected Environmental Offenses
Automatic Update ServiceThis book is included in PBI’s automatic update service. PBI will publish supplements or new editions as appropriate to keep the book up to date. We will send you a notice when a new edition is available. You will then have the option to purchase the supplement or new edition at a discounted rate or decline the offer, with no further obligation.
If you would like to opt out of the automatic update service, log in to your PBI account, click on Your Account and select Account Home. Then, click on Automatic Update Products. If you do not wish to receive automatic updates for any product, uncheck the box next to that product. If you would like to opt in to the automatic update service for any product, check the box next to that product.