An essential guide for navigating the Right-to-Know Law
This unmatched reference walks you through Pennsylvania's Right-to-Know Law. For a statute that touches upon almost every aspect of government in the Commonwealth and has generated a significant amount of litigation, little in the way of guidance has been offered to navigate the substantive issues, procedural matters, and strict time limitations—until now. J. Chadwick Schnee, Esq., former Assistant Chief Counsel of the Office of Open Records, shares practical guidance about this important, yet often-overlooked statute.
Get updated on the latest developments
This new edition provides:
- Updated decisions concerning the 30 exemptions from public access under the Right-to-Know Law
- Attempts to expand upon various other statutory laws that affect the accessibility of records, including:
- The Medical Marijuana Act
- The Controlled Substances Forfeiture Act
- Act 22 of 2017, which addresses body camera and dashcam footage
Summary of Contents
- Overview of the Right-to-Know Law
- Filing a Request for Records
- Agency Response
- Exemptions from Public Access
- Appeals Before the OOR
- Judicial Appeal
- Legislative and Regulatory Developments
- Appendix A: Sample Agency Right-to-Know Policy and Procedure
- Appendix B: Sample Uniform Right-to-Know Request Form
- Appendix C: Sample County Right-to-Know Request Agreement
- Appendix D: Sample Commonwealth Agency Right-to-Know Request Agreement
- Appendix E: Overview of the Right-to-Know Process
- Appendix F: Right-to-Know Checklists
- Appendix G: Right-to-Know Internet Resources
- Index of Cases
- Index of Statutes
- Subject Index
Automatic Update Service
This book is included in PBI’s automatic update service.
PBI will publish supplements or new editions as appropriate to keep the book up to date.
We will send you a notice when a new edition is available.
You will then have the option to purchase the supplement or new edition at a discounted rate or decline the offer, with no further obligation.
If you would like to opt out of the automatic update service, log in to your PBI account, click on Your Account and select Account Home.
Then, click on Automatic Update Products. If you do not wish to receive automatic updates for any product, uncheck the box next to that product.
If you would like to opt in to the automatic update service for any product, check the box next to that product.